• Welcome to SAIL Community Supported PBX . Please login or sign up.

CallerID defined by SIP client

Started by jsnider, November 10, 2016, 01:26:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsnider

Are there any settings required to allow a SIP client to define the outbound CallerID?

I can see from the SIP debug that the sip client is sending a from CallerID as defined but this is ignored by the extension, either using the CallerID set under the extension settings in Sail or as anonymous if this is left blank.

System is Sail 4.1 asterisk 11.

Thanks,
Jordan.

sysadmin

I'm not sure we fully understand your question.  Are you able to give us a use case?

In general, SARK/SAIL does nothing with CLID unless you explicitly tell it to, either in the trunk definition or the extension. 

jsnider

In this particular instance the inbound call is diverted back out to a mobile number, the diversion is occurring on the SIP client device which is "hair-pining" the call back out as a new call, we want the new call to take on the same caller ID as the original call.

Another example would be dynamically defining the CallerID for a 100 number group from a soft phone.

In either case the system ignores the CallerID defined by the SIP client and presents the CallerID defined on the extension within Sail or no caller ID if this field is left blank.

Thanks,
Jordan.

sysadmin

Quotethe diversion is occurring on the SIP client device which is "hair-pining" the call back out as a new call, we want the new call to take on the same caller ID as the original call.

By 'SIP client device", do you mean a phone registered to the SARK box?  If you do, then we would need to see a SIP trace of the call.   How are you setting the CLID and where, or are you just expecting it to propagate? How are you setting the CFWD? In the phone itself or in SARK?

I didn't understand what you meant by 'dynamically defining the CallerID for a 100 number group from a soft phone'.    Maybe we're just not very bright but you need to make it crystal what you are trying to do.

jsnider

The SIP client device is either a Soft phone or IP PBX connected to the SARK box.

The two main scenarios were are dealing with are as follows:

Scenario 1:
A client with multiple DID numbers and 1 SAIL SIP extension registered as a trunk on their soft phone or PBX, they wish to present a different DID as their Outbound Caller ID on a call by call basis, the soft phone or PBX does present the from Caller ID in the outgoing call but this is then overridden by the settings on the SAIL extension.

Something like this: http://blog.davidvassallo.me/2013/07/23/asterisk-voip-getting-your-outbound-callerid-to-show-properly/

Scenario 2:
Again a client with 1 SAIL extension registered on a soft phone or PBX with an incoming call hair-pinned back out. The PBX collects the incoming caller ID and hairpins the call back out as a new call, presenting the originating Caller ID in the from SIP field, again this is overridden by the Caller ID settings on the SAIL extension.

In both cases if the customers main Caller ID is set on their SAIL extension this is presented regardless of the SIP from field in the SIP trace. If no caller ID is set the call is presented as Anonymous regardless of the SIP from field in the SIP trace.

Thanks,
Jordan

sysadmin

OK, I think I'm beginning to understand.  If you have a PBX registering from downstream of SARK/SAIL, then you should normally register it as a SIP trunk and comment out the fromid in the generated definition.   In this case, SARK will simply pass through any given CLID which comes from downstream.   Whether the upstream carrier will honour it or not is another issue but SARK will just hand it on.

An extension entry in SARK will by default, generate a callerid(name) and callerid(number) into the sip entry for the extension (in the asterisk tab).   You can override it in the CLID override in the gui but what will get sent is one of these two.   You can also, if you wish, remove the entry altogether from the sip entry (i.e. comment it out) in which case the phone itself (soft or hard) will send a CLI and that will be honoured and passed through.

The third party document you refer is using rpid which is not used so much anymore.  Most carriers recognise P-Asserted Identity rather than RPID.  SARK by default sets PA-ID anyway based upon the CLI you originally sent.  You can turn off PA-ID if you wish by commenting out the line 'sendrpid=pai'  in sark_sip_header.conf